Who is Peggy Jones?
Peggy Jones was born in Illinois and has been a Florida citizen since 1979. She is a respected leader who is a self-starter in everything she does, however, she is first and foremost a mother whose children come before anything else.
The following exemplifies recognition of Peggy's track record as a self-starter.
- She received the Distinguished Service Award from Florida High School Athletic Association (FHSAA), September 2014.
- She received Outstanding Principal for Region 3 in Florida from the Department of Education Award, June 1997.
- She earned an educational doctorate with three children and serving as a school principal.
- She was the teacher of the year and finalist at Vero Beach Junior High School, 1985.
- She was the first woman high school athletic director for boys and girls sports in the state of Illinois.
- She put herself through college by working and receiving scholarships.
Peggy has decades of experience in education. She has proven to be dedicated to the students in Indian River County as demonstrated by the following:
- She has 31 years experience in the Indian River County School District; a total of 37 years in education. She was selected and attended the Harvard Principals Center.
- Her career ladder included being a teacher, Vero Beach High School Dean, Vero Beach Junior High School Assistant Principal, Gifford Middle Six and Gifford Middle School Principal, and Sebastian River High School Principal for 11 years. She also served as the district’s Executive Director of Secondary Schools.
- She served five years with the state level Florida High School Athletic Association, Gainesville.
- She earned her doctorate while serving as a principal at Gifford Middle School while raising three children.
- Served as facilitator for Indian River County Chamber of Commerce, Indian River County Council of 100, Riverside Children’s Theatre and United Way
- Volunteer with Crossover Mission, Indian River County
- Who’s Who of Executive Leaders, 1998
- Presentation for Athletic Service at state seminars for Athletic Directors in Florida, 2009-2014
- American Legion recognition
- Students Against Drunk Drivers recognition
- Relay for Life Volunteer Chairperson
- Team Parent for soccer and Baseball Mighty Mites and Assistant
- Youth Soccer coach
- Habitat for Humanity volunteer
- Was an active member in Parent Teacher Association for many years
- Served on numerous academic committees
- United Way Panel Chair for Educational Grants
- Nova Southeastern University – Ed.D., Educational Leadership, 1998
- Northern Illinois University – M.S., Educational Administration, June 1979
- Illinois State University – B.S. English/PE minor, 1974
- School athletics and extracurricular activities
- Chicago Bears football team
- Chicago Cubs baseball
- University of Central Florida football